Suffering with Back Pain?
Try An Integrated Approach at Estuary Clinic Exeter
What People Are Saying About Us. Current Rating With Google:
Back Pain Services
Back pain affects 80% of the uk population at some point in their lives. Here at the Estuary Clinic Topsham, Exeter we have an integrated back pain team, offering more than one treatment modality for your back pain.
We offer a treatment of your choice for your back pain or can advise you on the best treatment option based on your medical history, and what has or has not worked for you in the past.
What Causes Back Pain
Back pain can develop suddenly or gradually over time from our daily activities or routines. This could be from our work or home settings to more active settings such as sport. The most common causes of neck or back pain arise from:
- bending or twisting awkwardly for short or prolonged periods
- slumped or stooped postures whilst sitting
- over straining tissues from repetitive movements
- Lifitning or carry heavy objects
- degenerative changes from wear and tear
Nerve and Back Pain
These nerves from the back can occasionally become irritated either through pressure exerted on the nerves or from inflammation arising from neighbouring tissues. This can consequently lead to symptoms of referred pain into the legs often referred to as sciatica.
Lower back & sciatica
The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in body located deep in the buttock, running down the back and outer aspect of the leg. This nerve can become irritated. This may include:
• herniated (bulging) disc in the lower back
• bony growths on the spine that narrow the nerve root exits
• arthritis in the low back or hip – may cause inflammation leading to irritation.
• tight muscles in the buttock can trap the sciatica nerve i.e the piriformis muscle often referred to as piriformis syndrome.
Don't forget our other services...